Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata
- Does RAMCloud change the energy equation for a datacenter?
- What if discs were essentially never turned on? Would this improve energy usage dramatically?
- After a very quick glance around:
- current HDs: 9W active, some 8W idle, some down to 5W, 1W standby
- current SSDs: 2.5W active, 0.06W idle
- so, perhaps the elimination of up to 8W per disk
- could save 80kW or on 10k machines, or more with any redundancy
- If we were to use flash based memory, like Fusion-IO for example, we could save even more power:
- Current DRAMs - ~ 4.5 W per GB - 160/320 W for 32/64 GB respectively
- Fusion IO drive - claims ~ 120 W for 160 GB device (last gen device costs ~ 30 - 40 $ per GB)
- Latency: < 50 us for read